26 March 2006

Teatro Colon and various other misadventures

So here I am again... having a slow relaxing Sunday night and figured I would try and fill in a few more gaps. Unfortunately I think I might be typing on the worst keyboard in all of Argentina. Oh well. Where to begin...

To start, here´s one for Gwen... I wish I could have had you here with me on Wednesday, you would have been on cloud nine!! I got the chance to go see La Boheme at the Teatro Colón, and it was truly fantastic. The theater itself is enormous, and the sound is really clear. I had never seen La Boheme before, and I really enjoyed it. In fact, it was the first opera I remember ever attending period. I wanted to go just for the novelty of seeing a performance in Teatro Colón, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. The music, the atmosphere, the acting... all of it together was really moving, and unlike anything I had seen before. Its baffling, the stamina that the actors have, to be able to sing with such force for such an extended amount of time. The first two acts took about an hour, and same with the second two. It was a bit of a headache though hearing Italian and reading the subtitles in Spanish, especially since lots of words are similar. I was suprised at how much I understood though, it was nice to feel like my lessons are coming along.

Speaking of the lessons, I am now officially in advanced!! I passed my final intermediate test on Thursday, and will start the new level on Monday. At this point, we have learned all of the grammer and verb forms and will now be working more on conversational practice and fine tuning things... It´s a lot to digest though, I´ve found that it takes some time after you have learned new stuff to actually use it while speaking. My reading is really coming along though, and I am able to hold my own in a conversation, even if I do sound like a 4 year old sometimes.

Anyways, this crappy keyboard is not too kind on my knuckles, so I think I will leave it at that for now. The supermarket is closed, so I have a feeling I will be dining Nat style tonite, lays potato chips haha. Hope everyone is well, besos ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're sposta type w/ your fingertips, not your knuckles, silly girl!

congrats on the move up to advanced!

Anonymous said...

congrats on the advanced move.

It sounds great and fun. Wish I was there

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness..... I'm so jealous! At least you thought of me... !Felicitaciones en su "promoción"! Can't wait to see you when you get back. Based on information from Dad you'll be here for both my birthday
and my graduation! That would be wonderful.