09 February 2006

Cemetario de Recoleta etc.

Well I finally made it to the famous Recoleta Cemetary. Evita is buried here, and I did get to see her. I don´t have the pic yet but will return to get it... I think we came in just before a huge group of tourists, so as soon as we got to her grave, it was flooded. I live really close though, so I will snap it another day. The cemetary itself is amazing, like a deserted city (except for the Perón tomb). It is cool compared with the rest of Buenos Aires, and lined with trees in the center.The map they give you is hilarious, because the cemetary is enormous, and all they show is a huge grid of little gray boxes that have completely randomly placed numbers on them. It is nearly impossible to use and easy to get lost in there... partly because of the map, and partly because it is so interesting to wander off. I could probably spend hours just dodging in and out of the little narrow "streets". It is a really funny place to listen to tourists... I heard "Who is Eva Perón... I thought this was Evita´s grave? and "It seems smaller than it should be". I did get a ton of other great shots, maybe too many, hah. I posted a couple of my favorite ones. I have done quite a bit of city wandering this week, which is nice. I love to just walk and people watch here. The parks are great for lounging about in. I actually bought a cell phone today, because they aren´t expensive here, and it is safer and far less frustrating to own one. After that I walked down Santa Fe a bit and stopped in a bookstore that used to be a theatre. Its really bizarre because it is a chain store down here, kind of like a Borders, but this one is located in one of the most beautiful buildings I´ve ever seen. Its got a cafe on what used to be the stage, and a big circular opening in the center. On the top two or three stories, the bookshelves circle around the opening. The dome in the ceiling is covered in a big mural to look like the sky. Also got to walking down Florida, a hugely popular pedestrian street, for quite awhile. It is the main spot to see random street performers or dancers tangoing in the streets for coins. Its busy and very touristy, but great fun. I am incredibly tired right now and have an exam in the morning, so this is going to be more of a picture post. The top three are from the Cemetary and the fourth is the back of the Teatro Colón. If I´m brave enough to bring my camera with me, I will show you all how Buenos Aires celebrates Carnaval... It starts this weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris (made famous by Jim Morrison of all people). Same deal with the useless, confusing map....I got soooo lost and wandered around in there for a lot longer than I wanted to spend. There were some huge tombs there, but the same as one of the visitors you heard, I was thinking Morrison's seemed pretty small....

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you, this weekend.... our Mardi Gras party is Saturday night. Have fun, sweetie! I love the photos you are posting. Take even more care with yourself than you would your camera.

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you, this weekend.... our Mardi Gras party is Saturday night. Have fun, sweetie! I love the photos you are posting. Take even more care with yourself than you would your camera.